Stow your structured totes and give an easy going backpack a whirl this summer. The slouchy rucksack shape has definitely come back into vogue, and now you have your choice of stripes, colors and textures oh my! Here are some eco-friendly faves to whet your appetite:
1. THE DAVEY, Krochet Kids, $59.95. Perfect for all your weekend trips that await you this summer. Get ahold of ‘the Davey’ stuff it with all your other favorite KKi products and hit the road! Ethically made with cooperatives in developing countries.
2. KAMARIA BAG BLACK FEATHERS, Lalesso, $290. A bucket bag design crafted from suede leather, printed silk cotton, and includes a rope shoulder strap. Ethically made in Kenya.
3. RAFIA CROCHET BACKPACK, Bop Basics, $115. Braided raffia puts a summer-ready spin on a slouchy backpack with twisted rope straps. Frayed ends leave a nautical impression, and the drawstring top opens to a lined interior with a single pocket. Made from natural fibers.
4. BLACK MULTI CARTAGENA MOCHILA BAG, Miss Mochila, $325. This Black Multi Cartagena Mochila Bag from Colombia-based designer Miss Mochila is a staple in any jetsetter’s accessories rotation. Handwoven by the Wayuu tribe in South America, its color-pop hues instantly brighten your standard T-shirt and jeans ensemble.
5. CHEYENNE BUCKET TOTE, Shannon South, $380. This tote bag is a patchwork of rugged yet soft, beautiful nubuck leather with raw suede on the inside. Made in NYC from remnant luxury leather from furniture production.Tweet
Pulling from WhoWhatWear.com’s style snaps slide show, we found some inspiring outfits that were begging for an eco-fashion makeover! This look is all about the striped maxi dress- which is becoming a summertime wardrobe staple. Here’s how you can go green with this casual cool look:
1. MARY MAXI DRESS, Amour Vert, $99. Made in Los Angeles from organic cotton.
2. DAVIS JACKET, Hare + Hart, $449. Ethically made in Argentina from meat industry by-product leather.
3. JOSIE LEATHER FLIP FLOP, Vere Sandal Company, $50. Made in the USA.
4. PERCEY SUNGLASSES, Warby Parker, $95. Socially linked to helping those in need receive eye exams and prescription glasses.
5. JAISALAMER CLUTCH, Susanna Valerio, price upon request. Upcycled.Tweet
Hi. My name is Greta, and I am a beauty junkie. Well… perhaps moving my way to ‘former beauty junkie’ status with the help of these multi-purpose products. Whether you are running out of bathroom cabinet space, or find your 3×5 clear plastic bag a bit too limiting when you travel- these eco-friendly beauty balms might be just what your simplified beauty routine needs.
1. SKIN SAVOIR, One Love Organics, $68. Pure, cold-pressed plant oils, rich mango butter, and three super-critical extracts break down dirt and makeup, cleansing your skin, without stripping its natural protective layer. And you can use the very same balm for moisturizing, illuminizing, hair taming and creating your own custom treatment foundation.
2. SKIN STICK, Earth Tu Face, $34. All-purpose skin salve for face, lips & body. Provides protective hydration packaged in a 100% compostable tube. Zero plastic. Geranium prevents & fades scarring. Vetiver promotes cellular healing. Pure Beeswax heals and protects skin.
3. WHIPPED, Elique Organics, $46. Whipped beautifies the skin, keeping it supple, hydrated and radiant while deeply moisturizing and enlivening it. Use on face and body, ends of hair and on pregnant belly. Great post-shave, wax, sun and sport. Guys love it too!
4. ALL PURPOSE SHEA BUTTER FOR SKIN & HAIR, Tay, $28. Offers long lasting hydration and can be used to tame and style hair.Tweet
Summer is here, and that means it’s officially swimsuit season! Check out these five fabulous eco-friendly suits to help you kick start your fun in the sun.
1. CONVERTIBLE STRAP BANDEAU & EURO SHORT, Greenlee Swim, $87 & $79. Made from recycled nylon in Los Angeles, CA.
2. ROLLING WAVE SURFING BIKINI, Nalu Swim, $45 each. For girls who want to play in the water with the confidence of a suit that stays put. Made locally in Los Angeles, CA.
3. OBSIDIAN KNOT BACK MAILLOT, Cala Ossidianna, $295. Ethically sourced fabric, made in the USA, and linked to the World Land Trust.
4. BRENA MAILLOT, Vitamin A Swimwear, $165. The indigo blue color way falls under their eco-friendly initiatives for using natural dyes. The Kardashians are huge fans of this sexy swim line, and now you can shop their eco line.
5. CAMI UNDERWIRE TOP & CONVERTIBLE HIPSTER BOTTOM, Faherty Brand, each $110. Made from recycled polyester.
Printed jumpsuits may feel like a throwback to the 1970′s, but they are currently the hippest outfit on the street! Taking our style cues from Annie Greenberg (editor at Refinery29.com), pair your pant suit with platforms and a statement necklace. A small clutch or cross body bag in a solid color is the final touch for perfection. Here’s how you can go green and get this look:
PRINTED JUMPSUIT WITH CROSS BACK DETAIL, Asos Africa, $93.34. Handmade in Africa.
HOTTIE 2 TAN PLATFORM WEDGES, Lulu’s, $32. Vegan.
DOMINO NECKLACE, The Andean Collection, $30. Handcrafted by an artisan in South America.
MINI PINK CROSS BODY, Angela Roi, $79. Percent of sales donated to charity, and vegan.