Taking time to truly relax seems like a rare experience these days, yet it is so important. Since my move to California, I have tried to set a new intention for work-life balance, which includes time to read and just chill, sans screens. In an age where we are uber connected and constantly updated, I find myself yearning for some restorative offline time. The Universe must have heard my pledge, because a home and beauty brand just up the the coast from me in Malibu recently reached out to collaborate. I instantly said yes and began to craft my at home spa day with their intoxicating signature gardenia scent... Kai.
As a Malibu-based company, Kai is very connected to the beauty of the world around them. All of their products are paraben, sulfate, phthalate and phosphate-free. They are also a cruelty-free brand that is made in the USA. All of these things attracted me to Kai, along with the quality of their products.
At Home Spa Day Essentials
- Relaxing music. I like to play the Spotify playlists under 'Chill' where you will find a classic Spa Treatment list and something a bit more hip with the Mellow Beats Playlist.
- A Kai Candle and Kai Reed Diffuser to set the stage with a fresh gardenia scent.
- Hot water + fresh lemon. Simple and satisfying.
- Good reads. I recently read Super Rich: A Guide to Having it All by Russell Simmons and really enjoyed the connection of spiritual mindfulness with the work you do. A great reminder to give freely to the world the gift you have to give and it will all work out beautifully.
- Healthy snacks. Fresh fruit and snap peas are my go-to snacks these days and are perfect for keeping digestion light.
The Perfect Bath
I love to unwind with a bath, and over the years I have learned a few things that make baths not only enjoyable but beneficial.
- Run a bath at a temperature that feels warm (but doesn't scald) when you hold your elbow under the stream of water. This usually ensures a perfect temperature.
- Add Kai Bathing Bubbles or Body Wash for a delicious smell and some fun bubbles.
- Add one half cup to one cup of epsom salts to help pull toxins out and ease sore muscles.
- Drop five to ten drops of argan oil for an extra level of hydration that soaks into your skin.
- Use the Kai Body Buffer to gently scrub away dead skin cells and increase circulation for a healthy glow.
- Add rose petals for a special touch.
- When you get out of the bath try to air dry and let the oils soak in. Follow up by misting Kai Body Glow on arms and legs and rub in for added moisture that is lighter than lotion, yet still hydrating. Perfect for summer.