The Green Festival NYC is one of the nation’s largest green day gatherings! Stop by for some organic beer and wine tasting, while you peruse the latest and greatest from eco-friendly brands (over 300), and be sure to schedule your visit to see the Eileen Fisher runway show. Myself and other eco-warrior princesses in the industry will be showing off our styling skills with the new eco conscious line from Eileen Fisher, called the & collection.
Each piece bearing the ‘&’ symbol in its hangtag was produced with consideration to the planet and her people. I am already a HUGE fan of this line from EF and love mixing their key basics into my wardrobe for a casual cool feel. Wanna know what I’ll be wearing on the runway?… You’ll have to come to find out! See you there (and if you do come, please come say hi- I would love to meet you!).Tweet
Going green for Earth Day can take many forms. I prefer the green apple Juice Beauty variety. Ever since, I met founder Karen Behnke, at Aspen Fashion Week a few years back, I have been a long time fan of the all natural and extremely pure skincare line. So, of course, I was overjoyed when Juice Beauty approached me to collaborate for Earth Day and include me in their special Earth Month features. Last week they featured Kristen Arnette, the founder of GreenBeautyTeam.com, who dolled out amazing green beauty advice.
This week on the JB Blog, you can find my three easy tips for greening your wardrobe, as well as a list of some of my all time favorite eco-designers and brands to help you fill in any spring time wardrobe gaps. Be sure to check back each week this month for more expert eco advice. Oh! And if you are wondering, by tried and trusted choice products from Juice Beauty are the Green Apple Peel and Age Defy Green Apple Hand Cream. They both even clear skin and even out pigmentation while reducing little wrinkles. Need I say more?
Use my personal promo code: GRETA set up to give you the Hand Cream for only $6 with the purchase of any Green Apple Peel- Sensitive, Full Strength or Blemish Clearing- (maybe get ahead of the game and order something for Mother’s Day?…). And, if you have any questions about their other products, leave a comment below. I have used almost all of them and am happy to share my experience. Happy Earth Month! Go get eco-beautiful!Tweet
Varying hues of burnt orange, peach sorbet and dusty salmon all fall under this spring’s major color trend: coral. Flattering for most skin tones, and always a great accent piece to bring in a pop of color, coral may be hot for spring, but is also a great long term investment for any wardrobe. Take advantage of the coral colored accessories on offer right now like this stunning woven (vegan) bag from Cornelia Guest ($350), a convertible clutch from Eponymous NY ($1,250), and sassy yet subtle wedges from Gwendolyn Carrie (£357, wooden base).
Or try out the colored jeans trend with these delicious creamsicle colored skinnies from Agave Denim ($188, organic cotton). My personal favorite is the lady like dress with a little collar embellishment from People Tree (£120, ethically and socially made in India).Tweet
Wedding season is just around the corner, and having a go-to clutch is a must for any ensemble. Keep things classy with a small to medium sized clutch, which will help keep your look on the dressier side. Here are my fab five picks for S/S13. And, check out my post on what to wear to a summertime wedding for more style tips.
1. AVA AGATE CLUTCH, Kayu, $180. Handwoven and made from materials that are discarded as waste from the food and fishing industry. Plus, a percentage of each sale is donated towards educational and health initiatives.
2. WHITE ARROW CLUTCH, Sseko, $65. Handcrafted in Kenya by artisans lifted out of poverty with fair wage production.
3. TRAVELERS CLUTCH, Fleabags, $140 (on sale at ABoyNamedSue.co). Made locally in NYC from vegetable dyed leather, and lined with organic cotton.
4. MINI AUGUSTINE, The Sway NYC, $154. Handmade from upcycled quality leather.
5. EMBROIDERED CLUTCH, Cuyana, $160. Ethically made in Mexico with a percentage of proceeds going towards Charity: Water.Tweet
A summer wedding is such a special occasion. Not only because of what you are celebrating (the union of two people in love!), but it is one of the few opportunities we get to break out floor length dresses made from floaty fabrics in various cuts and hues! A friend of mine is getting married this summer (among many, many others- this is the busiest wedding season!), and requested that her guests dress ‘Creative Cocktail’ for the party. Hmmm. What does that translate to? Semi-formal to formal dresses spruced up for a very modern day take with trendy accents (ie: hair, makeup and accessories which are hip and fashion forward).
For most weddings (unless specifically stated as a black tie affair), you can certainly wear a shorter cocktail dress that hits between the mid thigh and knee. But, this is a wedding! This is your time to indulge in wearing an evening gown that sweeps the floor (or grass for all those garden party weddings) while you walk. Be careful when choosing a long dress to make sure your opt for a more dressy fabric like silk or chiffon (and stay away from jersey which will look too casual for the occasion). Going for a print is a great way to keep your look cheerful and light. Add statement jewelry like turquoise earrings or a floral headpiece for a festive touch.
Finally, select a pair of heels that are peep toe or an open sandle style. With a long dress you always want your toes to peek out and balance all that fabric with a little skin. If the wedding is outside on the grass go for a wedge so you won’t spend the day aerating the lawn. Otherwise, a classic stiletto heel in a nude or soft metallic is so elegant and sexy. Finish off the ensemble with a clutch and a wrap.
1. BEACHES OF MONACO GOWN, Rent the Runway, $200. Rent a fabulous designer dress for the special day, and spend 1/10th what you would to own it! Plus, you can feel good about sharing dresses through this uber cool service because each dress is worn multiple times instead of once and then dying a slow death at the back of your closet.
2. CALETTO MAXI, Nightcap Clothing, $495. The delicate lace fabrics for this dress were imported from France, and then used to construct this delightful dress in Los Angeles.
3. V-NECK DRESS, H&M Conscious Collection, $19.99. A garden party staple made from 100% recycled polyester. Make sure to dress it up with glamourous jewels.
4. HAVISHAM GOWN, David Peck Crop, $485. The classic elegance that naturally comes with this dress cannot be matched! Drop earrings and a small embellished clutch are the perfect finishing touches.Tweet