Memorial Day is just around the corner, and even though that rule about not wearing white before then no longer applies, it is always a great reminder to bring your whites out for the season. Wearing white can be so sophisticated and elegant, and can also lend a casual feel- depending upon how you craft your outfit. Here are two wonderful ways to wear white:
1. Casual. Blouses paired with short shorts (and even denim cutoffs) is a popular look at the moment. Everyone from off duty models to jet-setting vacationers are sporting this ensemble. To get the look tuck a semi sheer (or lightweight) blouse into the front of distressed denim shorts and roll the sleeves to mid forearm. Stay within the same hue of white for a classic but cool vibe, and finish the outfit with a pair of gladiator sandals. Try Maiyet’s Pleated Back Long Sleeve Button Down ($625, 100% cotton, cut in India, made in New York) with a pair of White Cutoff Shorts from 7 For All Mankind ($155, made in the USA).
2. Corporate. For a more dressed up take on summer white, choose a structured dress. David Peck’s Micaela Dress ($385, silk, made in Texas) is a slam dunk. The side detailing creates shape, while the modest neckline and skirt length make it ladylike and office appropriate. Add leopard heels and a pair of cat eye sunglasses, and you are on your way!
(Georgia Jagger image from WhoWhatWear.com)Tweet
Update your look and spring forward into warmer weather with the right nail polish. These four colors scream spring and are sure to uplift any outfit. What colors are you loving right now for your fingers and toes?
1. TULLE- QUINTESSENTIAL COLLECTION, Jin Soon, $18. A sheer cream that instantly give a clean, polished look to nails. Great for showing off your budding tan. The formula is 5-Free and was created without toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, toluene, DPB and camphor.
2. THANDIE, Zoya, $8. A full-coverage, citrus orange cream within the coral family. Vegan friendly and five free.
3. BABY BLUE EYES, Priti NYC, $13.50. An opaque neon pop of color that is fresh and fun. Five free.
4. FIVER, butter London, $15. An opaque icy mint color to cool you down on a hot day. Three free.
The best part about bangles is that you can mix and match them, building different looks along the way. These socially linked bangles from Mikuti- whose production helps to employ women in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda- certainly make the cut! I love the mix of metal with beads. Now all that’s needed is wooden bangle to go between them.
They say there is no love like a mother’s love. Mother’s Day is approaching (May 12th!), and it is time to reciprocate. Whether you indulge her with handmade beauty products, or bring a pop of color to her wardrobe with a key accessory- we’ve got five eco-fabulous options to help you tell your mama just how much she means to you.
1. HONEY & OATS BODY PASTE, Body Be Silk Organic Luxurious Bath & Body Line, $40. Every woman dreams of having the time to concoct their own beauty potions, with pure and gentle ingredients, which allows them to create an at home spa. Time in a mother’s schedule doesn’t usually allow for this, so instead pamper her with these organic homemade products from Body Be Silk.
2. EVERY SCARF TELLS A STORY, Maisha Collective for Maiden Nation, $40. The Maisha Collective, a project of Heshima Kenya, empowers refugee girls and young women from DR Congo, Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, and Burundi with economic opportunities to rebuild their lives with peace and dignity. Each scarf is lovingly handmade, and unique. Bring that special connection to women around the world to your mom.
3. SUNFLOWER HAVANA STRIPED CARRYALL, Mar Y Sol, $119. Manufactured with the help of artisan groups in Madagascar using organically tanned leathers and responsibly sourced raw materials, the sale of Mar Y Sol enables Madagascan families to gain economic independence, preserves traditional craft and promotes environmental conservation.
4. KUNA KICKS SPRING COLLECTION, Kuna Kicks, $119.95. Unique and authentically Colombian. Support social entrepreneurship (empowering people and producing quality) with the purchase of these creative kicks, and help your mama show off her child at heart.
5. KLAHAN BRACELET, The Brave Collection, $38. Our bracelets say “Klahan” (Klaa-han) which means “Brave” in “Khmer” (Khem-eye), the language of Cambodia. Each bracelet is handmade by a Cambodian artisan, and helps to move towards eradicating modern day slavery.Tweet
This is my go-to lazy day outfit. The wedge sneakers give a little added height (always appreciated), and the hoodie completes the casual cool factor. A perfect outfit for running errands.
ECO HEATHER ZIP HOODY, Alternative Apparel, $44. Made from the Alternative Earth eco-heather line.
SIGNATURE STRETCH SKINNY JEANS, Bebe, $89. Made in the USA.
SCOOP NECK TANK, Eileen Fisher, $49. Made from organic cotton stretch jersey as part of their Eco Collection.
WEDGE SNEAKERS similar to DUNK SKY HI SNEAKER, Nike, $120. Recyclable at any Nike store.
VEGAN LEATHER JACKET similar to QUILTED SLEEVE VEGAN LEATHER JACKET, Free People, $168.
What does your knock around outfit look like? Any eco options I should check out? Leave a comment below. X