Sometimes I am all about getting really gussied up for a night out, but most of the time I'm pressed for time and like to keep things simple when it comes to my makeup. I've been doing this quick beauty fix for years. It is the easiest way to enhance your natural features and polish off your look without looking like you tried too hard. Follow the steps below to get this natural glow.
1. Start with clean hands and a fresh clean face. I applied Dr. Alkaitis Treatment Oil to prep my skin with moisture and am finding it is such a wonderful base for a little foundation as it keeps the formula more moist and blends really evenly. (PS- I love that this looks like I'm posing for a passport photo! haha)
2. Pump a pea sized amount of foundation onto the back of your hand and with your finger tips apply to your cheeks, forehead and chin. Blend with outward strokes, and don't forget to use what's left on your finger tips to brush over your eyelids up to your brow bone. This evens out the color around your eyes and makes a huge difference.
3. Using a fluffy and soft brush, dust a setting powder over your face. I like to use Jane Iredale's Powder-Me SPF 30 to get some necessary sun protection too.
4. Take a highlighting pencil with a touch of shimmer and apply to the tops of your cheek bones, down the center of your nose and along your brow bones, as well a a touch right at your cupids bow (just above your top lip in the center). Blend with your fingers.
5. Add a touch of bronzer to both your cheek and temples. I use my same powder brush and squeeze the bristles closer together to that they create a more narrow fan-like shape for applying bronzer. Sweep the bronzer outwards just under your cheek bones where the cheek tends to hollow slightly to exaggerate your bone structure. A light dusting across your temples just above the eye brow gives you a more even sun-kissed look. I used Amazon Mineral Clay Bronzer from Tarte.
6. Next, use a bright plush to pop the apples of your cheeks and blend outward and downward into your bronzer. I used Tipsy from Tarte- which is a vibrant coral color that you only need a touch of!
7. Finally, apply one coat of mascara with a light hand. Try to apply the mascara evenly and brush through any clumps for the most natural look. The regular (not volumizing) mascara from Dr. Hauschka is my absolute favorite for this kind of look. It is so light and lengthening without clumping of looking spidery. One coat is perfect for a 'no makeup' look and you can always apply a second later at the end of the day before heading out to dinner.
Complete the look with a swipe of tinted lip balm. I like to keep it very neutral and find that even a strawberry or cherry flavored lip balm gives just a hint of color that is perfect. Try this tinted lip shine from RMS Beauty.
It may feel like a lot of steps, but the more you do them the quicker you get. I literally can do this whole routine in three minutes flat! The best part is, I feel great when I walk out the door and there is just enough product and layers to last the day before a quick touch up at night. What does your beauty routine entail? Any natural beauty products we should try?
PS- if you like my nails, you can learn to do them yourself with my tulip nail tutorial.